Author Topic: MY TESIMONY AS INTRODUCTION  (Read 709 times)

Walter Kirchbauer

• View Profile
MY TESIMONY AS INTRODUCTION
« on: July 10, 2015, 12:04:48 PM »
I grew up in the faith of the Catholic Church, which was very shallow. As a child I knew Jesus just superficially as a friend and had no idea what it meant to accept Him as Lord and Saviour. Even so, after a near fatal car-accident, when I was just eight years old, I promised gratefully my life to Him, thinking I would become a Catholic priest. I was reminded of this promise, when I made a decision for the Lord when I was nineteen years old. I had lost every bit of faith in my teens and was drifting along aimlessly, trying to improve myself through transcendental meditation, when I met a young group of evangelical Christians who led me to Christ. In the beginning my heart remained pretty cold and although I began reading the Bible, praying and attending Church, I was still embarrassed to confess freely to my mother that I had become a Christian. This changed drastically three weeks later, when sitting under a Good Friday sermon my eyes were suddenly opened to the love of the Lord. I had already known that He had died for me in general, but now it hit me personally. I saw that despite my cowardice to witness freely to Him, I saw Him on the cross to die for me personally. My heart caught on fire with the love for Jesus and on that day everyone I met had to hear of the living reality of the resurrected Lord Jesus.
 There is a difference between knowing and knowing. We can know with our intellect the Gospel-truth and not be touched by it in the heart. Although through many ups-and-downs of my faith being tested, I have been experiencing the fulfilment of the Lord's promise:" But when He, the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all truth...He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you." (John 16)

TRUE LOVE: DOES IT EXIST?

I am kind of a hermit who is waiting for the return of the Lord Jesus Christ. My faith is nondenominational and is aptly summed up in the hymn:

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine, oh what a foretaste
 of glory divine, heir of salvation, purchase of God,
born of the Spirit, washed in His blood. Perfect submission,
all is at rest, I, in my saviour, am happy and blessed,
watching and waiting, looking above,
filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

I have been walking with the Lord for 43 years now and after many
ups and downs of my faith being tested, the blessings in this song have become more than empty words for me, but a daily, living reality. The Gospel of Christ has proven to be the transforming power of God for salvation in my life. I have discovered that our natural, mere human love is just a dim shadow of God's love, which is everlasting. While our
love is always self-centred, His love is always totally selfless.

Jeremiah 17 says: "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure."
 Therefore God wants to give us a new heart as Ezekiel 36 promises:
"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you;
I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you
a heart of flesh... and I will make you a people that follow

Most Christians don't believe in the possibility of becoming perfect on
earth, as the father in heaven is perfect, and thereby dilute the Gospel and rob it of its transforming power. Even if it is impossible with men, it is possible with God. God's answer to the world celebrating the glory of human love is Isaiah 40:

"All men are like grass and all their glory like
the flowers in the field... the grass withers, the flowers
fall, but the Word of the Lord stands forever."

True love that satisfies our innermost being is only found in God Himself who loved us so much that He did not spare His only Son on the cross, but gave us, with His resurrection eternal life and the power to lead a holy life.

Philippa

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MY TESIMONY AS INTRODUCTION
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »
 :sign0016:

It's amazing how our eyes are 'opened' and realize how much God loves us, his children.  Yours is a great testimony which is worthy of sharing.

My Mum was a Christian and my Dad is an astheist but raised by Methodist parents.  The first Sunday school I went to was at the local Catholic church.  I don't remember going there as we moved when I was four years old.  From there I went to a Methodist Sunday school for some time then to an Anglican one but strayed away although I have always believed in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.  In my teens I was part of a CYFA group at the Anglican church I had previously gone to and went back to going to Sunday evenings services.  However I had friends who were Catholic so sometimes I would go to those services with them and occasional discos. 

When I was 19 years old my family hurt me deeply and I turned my back on my faith as I was angry at God as well as my family.  When I got married I started going to Pentecostal churches just to keep my husband happy.  When I turned 42 years old I accepted God back in my life as I hadn't been angry with Him for some time and was learning to forgive my family for hurting me.  We are both are active in the Methodist churches.  My husband is a steward at one church and I do a lot of volunteering at another church which is ecunemical (sp) but is part of the same circuit.

However we feel comfortable going into any Christian church although we don't go to Mormon or Jehovah Witnesses services.  We don't agree with some of their dotrines but respect them for knocking on doors.

Dawn

• View Profile
Re: MY TESIMONY AS INTRODUCTION
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 07:44:07 PM »
Hi and welcome